jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Manzke <daniel.man...@googlemail.com>
Subject Ceckin/-out, Locking - Description and tests missing in the Spec/TCK
Date Sat, 31 Oct 2009 18:15:02 GMT
Hi,

another time I studied the specification and didn't find an answer. This
time it's about checkin/-out and locking. I have a web application (and a
backend) which is using the JCR (until now 1.0 and ACLs from 2.0).
It's working quite well and some features are really nice, but I'm a little
bit confused how locking and checkin/-out should work.

In my case the application works with documents, where it could be that
several people are working on the same one. So I want that the users can
checkout a document. So this means for me, that the document is "locked"
until the document is checked in again and nobody without him can change
it.
So there are several ways how I think it could work.

My questions:
Is checkin/-out user based?
So that this is the checkin/-out like described in my example?

Is checkin/out only for creating a new version?
This would mean, then my user checks in his document, I have to checkout the
node, add the new property and then checkin?

I thought about using the open-scoped Lock for a long time checkout. Does a
user can change properties, when he locked a document? I didn't saw any
testcase or description in the spec, how this should work.

I would prefer this way:
- a user locks a document (Node.lock(..))
- if it is versionable he checks it out (Node.checkout(..))
- do his stuff
- save (Node.save(..))
- checks in (Node.checkin(..))
- unlock (Node.unlock(..))