jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: recursive XPath in jackrabbit...
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:15:39 GMT
On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 18:38, Phukan, Anit <Anit_Phukan@intuit.com> wrote:
> So is it advisable to use the DBFileBased system wherein we write our
> objects to specific nodes on a DB file system, and add properties later
> on as opposed to actually creating tables for nodes and properties?

No, the FileSystem is actually a legacy component in the internal
jackrabbit persistence architecture. The important part is the
persistence manager, see [1]. The bundle DB persistence managers are
recommended for performance and stability. They will create their own
tables upon first access in the database, which are not really
intended to be accessed by other applications, as they are internal
and contain most information in binary blobs (node bundles, hence the
name).

The idea behind that is to give you a JCR API, which is completely
independent from whatever storage (eg. relational db is below) and
clients don't have to care about. Unstructured data is supported
without further ado.

How you map your objects onto JCR itself is another topic... you can
use jackrabbit-ocm, jcrom or even drop object mappings and always
access nodes directly (my opinion), as the JCR Node interface is
already kind of a DAO.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/PersistenceManagerFAQ

Regards,
Alex