jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Namespaces for Property and child Node Names
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:54:04 GMT
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 09:07, Philipp Bunge <buge@crimson.ch> wrote:
>> Using a namespace from the start can also be useful for migration
>> because you can then distinguish a node/property created with
>> old http://foo/1.0 namespace and the new http://foo/2.0 in order to
>> manage them differently.
>
> I was wondering on how to deal with model changes and hadn't even
> thought about using namespaces! Obviously this would be putting
> namespaces to good use. Thanks for pointing this out to me!

I don't think this approach works in practice. You will duplicate all
your data - and then what? If two properties have the same name, it
makes sense to see them as the same. That's why JCR already has a lot
of common node types and properties, like nt:file, jcr:title,
jcr:lastModified etc. (JCR 2.0 defines some helpful standardized
mixins like mix:title). And upgrading nodetypes is also possible, with
JCR 2.0 you will even be able to change the primary node type of an
existing node.

It might be some effort during upgrade, but it's definitely better to
be forced to think about how your content model evolves and how to
handle the migration than to create a "mess" that you will have to
clean up later when it's much harder.

Regards,
Alex

--