jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSR 170 license
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:49:16 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Ludovic
Claude<ludovic.claude@laposte.net> wrote:
> I would like to package JackRabbit for Debian, but Debian has some very
> strict guideline about which software it can add in its repositories (it
> must be open source, and not all open source licenses are actually
> allowed in Debian).
>
> Jackrabbit has an Apache 2.0 license, which is great, but it depends on
> the JSR 170 library which as far as I can tell has a proprietary license
> from Day software. That's a shame, as it may mean that I cannot include
> Jackrabbit in Debian because of that sole library. Can anyone tell me if
> I'm wrong here, and if JSR 170 can be found under an open source license?

No. See the Day spec license [1] and the license addendum [2] for the
license terms under which the JSR 170 API jar is available. You are
essentially given broad rights to redistribute and use the
*unmodified* jar.

I don't know the Debian Free Software Guidelines well enough to tell
for sure whether those terms are acceptable for Debian or not. I know
that a number of deb packages based on unmodifiable but freely
distributable materials are placed in the non-free repositories, so I
assume that the JSR 170 API would be treated similarly. You may want
to ask Debian legal for a more authoritative review.

Note that the license terms do satisfy the third part licensing
criteria of the Apache Software Foundation.

[1] http://www.day.com/maven/jsr170/licenses/day-spec-license.htm
[2] http://www.day.com/maven/jsr170/jars/LICENSE.txt

BR,

Jukka Zitting