jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Philipp Bunge <b...@crimson.ch>
Subject Re: Namespaces for Property and child Node Names
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2009 07:07:15 GMT
Hi S├ębastien

Thanks for your reply! You made some interesting points and I will
take them away to think about how I use namespaces. Just wanted to
drop a comment one or two of your items.

> - i do not control the property name (set by the user) and i  do
>  not want collision with existing properties without namespace.

This is interesting. I don't think I've had the situation where I had
users setting properties using arbitrary keys before.
I usually have users only manipulating property values or, if I need a
more flexible structure, a subtree of nodes (where the users set
entire child node names without prefixes).

> - i want to expose parts of the path of a node in a URI on a web
>  server (a prefix: is not very sexy ;)).

Hehe, I agree. :)
Although I like to keep my structured data and my URI mappings (if
any) separated by some domain model. The structure in my repository
and the URIs will certainly be similar as the both reflect the same
model, but I don't necessarily have a 1-to-1 mapping (and can deal
with stripping namespaces, etc.).

> Using a namespace from the start can also be useful for migration
> because you can then distinguish a node/property created with
> old http://foo/1.0 namespace and the new http://foo/2.0 in order to
> manage them differently.

I was wondering on how to deal with model changes and hadn't even
thought about using namespaces! Obviously this would be putting
namespaces to good use. Thanks for pointing this out to me!

Thanks for the responses,
Philipp