jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: WebDAV Delete - Timeout
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:13:06 GMT
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Marian Schedenig
(qs)<Marian.Schedenig@qualysoft.com> wrote:
> Right now, 10 seconds for my local tests. Obviously not very high, but
> considering the timeout will apply to all communication over that
> connection, setting it to something really high like 2 minutes wouldn't
> really play nice with real connection problems for normal operations.

Why not a higher timeout? It only helps you when the connection is
unexpectedly lost during an operation and gives you an earlier warning
that the network connection has a problem.

> Also, deletion *seems* to be carried out "in the background" (from a client
> perspective) after the timeout, but for my 150MB directory, it can take a
> *long* time. At times, server performances seems to degrade seriously as
> well, causing simple directory listing requests to time out as well.
> Restarting the server helps (though JR initialisation can take a while in
> this case), and sometimes the deletion operation seems to finish during
> startup - but sometimes, parts of the directory are still there and I have
> to repeat the process.

A workaround is to delete "recursively" from deeper within the tree up
to the parent you want to delete, if you know that a lot of data is
involved.

Regards,
Alex

--