jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit Question
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:58:03 GMT
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 6:45 AM, freak182<eman.nollase@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Does jackrabbit compressed the file before or after it saves in
> filesystem?
> 2. Does jackrabbit archive old files? How archiving done?
> 3. What file format does jackrabbit accept?

There is no single storage format for Jackrabbit. It depends on your
configuration, mainly the PersistenceManager and DataStore. Typically
a database persistence manager is used, for embedding it locally, the
derby based PM is useful. See
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-configuration.html and
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/PersistenceManagerFAQ

There is no PM or DataStore that does compression. However, using a
datastore can reduce required space as binaries are only stored once,
regardless how often they are used in the repository.

Regarding archiving: JCR itself provides versioning as part of its API
and Jackrabbit supports it. Client applications must explicitly say
when new versions should be created.

> 4. How is indexing done?

Jackrabbit's implementation uses Lucene.

> 5. How can we apply a branch and central approach?

What exactly do you mean by that? JCR supports workspaces for
cloning/merging (search the mailing list for previous discussions on
that).

Regards,
Alex

--