jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Müller <thomas.muel...@day.com>
Subject Re: will jackrabbit scale to petabyte repository?
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2009 07:30:29 GMT
Hi,

> 100’s of millions of nodes

Maybe you shouldn't use just one repository. Unless you have a really
fast computer and storage system (disk / database). Just filling the
repository with that many nodes (on one machine) can take days. The
same for backups, and things like data store garbage collection. You
should consider splitting the data.

With Jackrabbit, you could use multiple repositories (probably on
different machines). Other companies that deal with petabytes of data
(like Google, Yahoo, Facebook) don't just use 'one big database'.

>>How many nodes do you plan for?
> Just curious, is there any guideline on the # of nodes one jackrabbit can support with
acceptable performance ?

No. I was just curious. Update performance doesn't change a lot for
larger repositories.

Regards,
Thomas