jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: WebDAV Delete - Timeout
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:02:21 GMT
Marian Schedenig (qs) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm not sure if this is really a Jackrabbit problem, but it seems to be.
>
> Using WebDAV, I'm trying to delete a large folder (20k files and folders,
> over 150MB). Obviously, this takes a while - longer than my HTTP timeout, so
> the DELETE method, issued via Jakarta's HttpClient, fails with a timeout.

What's the timeout value, btw?

> The HTTP and WebDAV specs seem to be very thin regarding DELETE behaviour,
> but from what I can see, the server may return 202 (Accepted) if the delete
> operation was accepted but not yet completed - presumably to prevent
> timeouts, since I can't find another hint on how to handle long-running
> deletes (either on the server or the client side).

That's possible, but I think most clients would be confused. I#ve never
seen that in the wild.

RFC 2518 suggested an intermediary status 102 Processing (see
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2518.html#rfc.section.10.1>, but in
RFC 4918 this was removed because nobody was implementing it). (And I
don't think the servlet API allows producing it anyway).

> So... is this a bug in my client? Or should Jackrabbit return a 202 in time
> to prevent timeouts? It seems like currently, my only option would be to
> guess a "really long" timeout.

Yes, I think you need to increase the timeout.

BR, Julian