jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Sebastian Lindstaedt" <Sebastian.Lindsta...@vaberlin.de>
Subject Ways of connecting a remote client to a repository
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 08:53:08 GMT
Hi,

Before asking my Question(s) let me describe my Application shortly.

I use a JBoss 4.3.x Applicationserver with Swing RMI-(Fat)Clients.
In the JBoss I deployed jackrabbit-jca and jackrabbit-jcr-rmi, so the (Swing)Clients talk
to the Repository via RMI.
This is Deploymentmodel 2, isnt it?

I have read from different postings that rmi can be slow (I could improve it by using clustering,
but this is no option for me, unfortunately), so I want to change that before going into production.
What are my options?
What I have learned so far by digging through the mailinglists/jackrabbit-homepage there are
two options for connecting to a remote repository. This post (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.jackrabbit.user/11651/focus=11662
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.jackrabbit.user/11651/focus=11662> ) suggests,
we can use rmi or webdav. If I would like to walk the "webdav-way" what would it take? On
the serverside, the JBoss Server exposes the Jackrabbit Repository (from the jackrabbit-jca
components) via the WebDAV-Server Servlet (from the jackrabbit-webapp) to remoting clients,
is that correct?

What is needed at the (remote) client side? The webpage, that introduces Jackrabbit SPI (http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-spi.html
<http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-spi.html> ) shows the following "chain": jcr2spi
<--> spi2dav <--> jcr-server. As far as I understand I need jcr2spi and spi2dav
at the remote client and the jcr-server (which is a repository + webdav servlet) at the JBoss
Server. Is this chain recommended for a production system?

regards,

Sebastian