jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Marian Schedenig (qs)" <Marian.Schede...@qualysoft.com>
Subject Re: WebDAV Delete - Timeout
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:28:08 GMT

Alexander Klimetschek wrote:

> Why not a higher timeout? It only helps you when the connection is
> unexpectedly lost during an operation and gives you an earlier warning
> that the network connection has a problem.

I guess you're right. It's setting some high timeout (meaning that lost
connections are only discovered after a long time) that still might not be
high enough (if deletion takes too long) that doesn't quite agree with me.
But it seems Konqueror does just fine this way, so I'll just deal with it
this way.

A workaround is to delete "recursively" from deeper within the tree up
> to the parent you want to delete, if you know that a lot of data is
> involved.

Yes, I've been thinking about that. Also because it would give me some
progress information I can relay to the user. Problem is, I don't know how
much the directory a user deletes contains, so I have to either do a full
recursion (my first attempt, but recursively looking up the files takes many
times longer than actually deleting the root folder) or make an educated
guess for a recursion threshold.

I'll probably just deal with high timeouts, at least for now.

Thx,
Marian.