jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Gadbury <gadb...@googlemail.com>
Subject RE: User Managed Transactions...
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:50:07 GMT

Hi all,

Sorry to come back to haunt you all but I am once again confusing myself
with Transactions.

There seem to be so many different variations / terms for transactions!

A local transaction
A distributed transaction
A global transaction
A user transaction
A container-managed transaction ...?

I'm guessing some of these are synonyms, and that they're not all different!

Currently, we are looking into the use of the spring-modules-jcr module for
use with transactions.  I understand that distributed transactions use JTA
and XA Resource (which I have got running without spring-modules-jcr, thanks
to the help from you all here), but I am not clear what a local transaction
manager is within spring-modules-jcr.  What is a local transaction?  I am
trying to work out whether I need to use the local transaction manager or
the distributed transaction manager in Jackrabbit.  Our concern is that XA
Transactions are only supported by MySQL for the INNO_DB engine, and we may
later have a requirement to use Jackrabbit with a clustered database.

Thanks for reading and any aadvice would be greatly appreciated.