jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From kbar <whereisk...@gmail.com>
Subject Jackrabbit JCR-RMI client sample code
Date Sat, 22 Aug 2009 09:07:04 GMT

I would like to remotely access a jackrabbit repository but can't find any
example code on how to do this. I have read through the following page

http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-jcr-rmi.html

which states the following

Setting up the server part of the JCR-RMI layer is quite straightforward.
After instantiating a local JCR repository you need to wrap it into a remote
adapter and create an RMI binding for the repository. A variation of the
following code is usually all that is needed in addition to the standard RMI
setup (starting rmiregistry, etc.):

Repository repository = ...; // The local repository
String name = ...; // The RMI URL for the repository

RemoteAdapterFactory factory = new ServerAdapterFactory();
RemoteRepository remote = factory.getRemoteRepository(repository);
Naming.bind(name, remote);  // Make the RMI binding using java.rmi.Naming

Could someone explain what this all means in a bit more detail, perhaps with
a java example file with all the right bits in there to actually talk to a
remote repository?  I have no idea where this code should go or how to run
it.  This looks like its meant to be on the server somewhere and somehow
makes it able to be used via JCR-RMI. But then I would also need an example
client code to show me how to actually talk to it. I am sure its all very
simple, I am just new to Java since I am coming from 10 years of C++ and C#.

I started writing my own server application that could stream files from
jackrabbit to a client machine when I found out about JCR-RMI and I think I
should be to everything I need, if only I had some example files that tells
me how to do it.

Once I have my head around how this all fits together I might put a site
together myself that has a lot of useful code snippets to help other
developers get started with Jackrabbit as well.

Thanks,
Kent