jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Marian Schedenig (qs)" <Marian.Schede...@qualysoft.com>
Subject Re: WebDAV Delete - Timeout
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:15:29 GMT

Julian Reschke wrote:

> What's the timeout value, btw?

Right now, 10 seconds for my local tests. Obviously not very high, but
considering the timeout will apply to all communication over that
connection, setting it to something really high like 2 minutes wouldn't
really play nice with real connection problems for normal operations.

That's possible, but I think most clients would be confused. I#ve never
> seen that in the wild.

Neither have I (which isn't saying much since this is the first time I've
thought about the whole issue).

Yes, I think you need to increase the timeout.

Well, it gets worse. For starters, it's not just my client, but Windows
Explorer can't handle it either (no, I'm not a fan of Windows Explorer, and
even less so of its WebDAV functionality, but I have to assume people will
want to use it with our server).

Also, deletion *seems* to be carried out "in the background" (from a client
perspective) after the timeout, but for my 150MB directory, it can take a
*long* time. At times, server performances seems to degrade seriously as
well, causing simple directory listing requests to time out as well.
Restarting the server helps (though JR initialisation can take a while in
this case), and sometimes the deletion operation seems to finish during
startup - but sometimes, parts of the directory are still there and I have
to repeat the process.

Now the timeout issue for large collections may be a general HTTP/WebDAV
thing (I have no experience how other clients and servers deal with this),
but the impact on server performance worries me. I'll try to do more testing
on my Linux box at home and see if it behaves differently.

Cheers,
Marian.