jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Marian Schedenig (qs)" <Marian.Schede...@qualysoft.com>
Subject WebDAV Delete - Timeout
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:22:35 GMT

Hi!

I'm not sure if this is really a Jackrabbit problem, but it seems to be.

Using WebDAV, I'm trying to delete a large folder (20k files and folders,
over 150MB). Obviously, this takes a while - longer than my HTTP timeout, so
the DELETE method, issued via Jakarta's HttpClient, fails with a timeout.

The HTTP and WebDAV specs seem to be very thin regarding DELETE behaviour,
but from what I can see, the server may return 202 (Accepted) if the delete
operation was accepted but not yet completed - presumably to prevent
timeouts, since I can't find another hint on how to handle long-running
deletes (either on the server or the client side).

So... is this a bug in my client? Or should Jackrabbit return a 202 in time
to prevent timeouts? It seems like currently, my only option would be to
guess a "really long" timeout.

Thanks,
Marian.