jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Guo Du <mrdu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Files Management
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:44:53 GMT
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Alexander Klimetschek<aklimets@day.com> wrote:
> Gupta<nitin.res@srishtitechnet.com> wrote:
>> Currently I am making use of RDBMS to keep the binary content. But this
>> approach may have performance limitations in production environment. So I
>> was contemplating JCR based solution for this where I can get best of both
>> worlds i.e. RDBMS for meta data (which I am already maintaining in my
>> schema) & file storage (which Jackrabbit can manage for me).
>
> JCR / Jackrabbit itself is already the best of both worlds (RDBMS and
> file systems), as it allows you to store files along with metadata and
> you get fulltext search etc. So you could completely switch to JCR as
> well :-)

Undoubtedly, JCR offer you a lot of features such as search, tree
style storage and manage the persistence for you.  But there are
overhead on what you got.

If you don't want to take advantage of those features, a simpler
implementation could be much more scalable and efficient. Especially
most of your content are multimedia in your case. For best
performance, those multimedia content is better served from web server
instead of app server IMO.

--Guo