jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: One Repository or Many?
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:44:16 GMT
2009/7/31 Fabián Mandelbaum <fmandelbaum@gmail.com>:
> One more question though, reading (the last part of) your answer I
> understand that workspaces can be used to separate storage for
> different customers. Did I understand correctly? Because according to
> David's model (http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DavidsModel) this
> practice would be discouraged.

That's why I said it depends.... Workspaces from a feature point of
view are oriented for creating separate branches of your content and
allow for continuous merging/copying/cloning of nodes (and subtrees)
from one branch to the other. Also all workspaces share a common
version history storage, because if nodes were cloned from one ws to
the other, they share the same UUID and also the same version history.

But this doesn't restrict you from having one workspace for each
customer if you never clone any nodes and if a common version storage
(that cannot be purged easily if one customer's workspace is removed)
is not a problem.

What I would discourage is having one workspace per user, which is an
idea that is brought up from time to time on the mailing list. Because
users share a common application/environment it does not make sense to
separate them.

Regards,
Alex

--