jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: General Apache JackRabbit Questions
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2009 11:48:26 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 16:01, <Robert.CTR.Liguori@faa.gov> wrote:
> Hello fellow Apache JackRabbit users,
>
>    I'm just getting acquainted wth Apache JackRabbit.  As such I have a
> few question.
>
>   -- My intent is to support an existing web application with the reading
> of files (e.g. PDFs, docs, etc) off of a MS Windows OS using a new Apache
> JackRabbit repository.
>
>    (1) I assume the Jackrabbit Standalone Server can be integrated
> seemlessly with a web application...

no, it is rather meant to run in a separate process. clients will
access the repository either via a RMI or WebDAV remoting layer. once
started you can access some documentation on how this can be done at:
http://localhost:8080/webdav-jcr.jsp and
http://localhost:8080/remote.jsp

> In regards to this statement, what
> benefits are gained by using the JackRabbit Web Application (war file). Is
> the Web App used in place of the server, or in tandem?

the web application is part of the standalone server but can also be
used in any other servlet container. in fact the standalone server is
a jetty instance running the jackrabbit web application.

>    (2) I understand how to read files from the repository using the
> JackRabbit API.  But what is the most popular way to write files... I
> guess through the API.  Is there a means or tool(s) to write files into
> the (Windows OS) repository outside of the API?

the jackrabbit web application comes with a WebDAV implementation that
supports the basic file operations. see:
http://localhost:8080/webdav-simple.jsp (again, this is a URL that
will work with a started standalone server, but will equally work with
the web application deployed in another servlet container).

>   (3) For reading PDF files for a web application is using the JSR 170
> directly the best way to go for simple web applications... or have there
> been built applications with JSR 170 that eases development?

Apache Sling just graduated from the Incubator and is now a top level
project. From the website:

<quote>
This is Apache Sling in five bullets:

- REST based web framework
- Content-driven, using a JCR content repository