jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Performance query
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2009 19:34:43 GMT

> Ah, thanks for the heads up. With "repository" I was refering to the
> persistence managers / item state managers / hierarchy manager. But
> didn't know this actually happened purely inside the Lucene index.
> BTW, doesn't this make a move difficult as well, when the index
> contains the hierarchy information itself? Or is it just parent node
> references that are stored in the lucene documents?

Yes exactly. The lookups are done within lucene. But, as jackrabbit
consists of a whole set of lucene indices, a lookup for a parent might
be in a different index, making it quite a bit slower: The more
'fractioned' your indices (as in many parents in different indices,
which happens if you have a lot of existing nodes which are being
updated), the slower it becomes. There is though quite some hierarchy
caching in lucene happening, still, it is really cpu intensive.

OTOH, I have always found expensive moving a lesser problem then
expensive searching, hence, we have chosen to index some 'pseudo
paths' in the index, enabling us to search on (simple) path
constraints alsmost instantly, as it is a single lucene term match
then...

Cheers Ard