jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Gadbury <gadb...@googlemail.com>
Subject DataStore - File or Database for an Ecommerce Web Application?
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:42:56 GMT

Hi all,

I am currently working on an e-commerce web application.  As we could be
storing large binary files, I am investigating the use of a DataStore.  I am
trying to decide whether to use a file data store or a database data store.

I have read the Jackrabbit article on data stores
(http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DataStore) but there are some aspects I
would like to clarify.  One concern I have is what would happen when
multiple users download large files from the store?  For example, lets say
100 users are downloading the same 100MB file from the Datastore.  For file
data stores, the article states:

"The file data store does not use any local cache, that means content is
directly read from the files as needed. New content is first stored in a
temporary file, and later renamed / moved."

I assume this means that with 100 users downloading the same 100MB file, all
downloading users will stream directly from the file and that no local /
temporary copies of the file would be created on the server.  I'm not quite
sure what it means by new content; does it mean that when a new file is
added to the repository (data store), a temporary copy will be created on
the server?  When reading and downloading, are no temporary copies of the
file created on the server when using a file data store?

If I was to use a database data store and apply the same scenario, would 100
local copies (on the server) of the 50MB file be created for each user
requesting the file for download?  Or would there be just one temporary
instance of the same file?  If that is the case, this would present a
problem if those 100 users were each downloading different 100MB files.

Please would someone be able to advise?  I just want to be sure that I have
understood the difference between file and database data stores, and the
implications of each.    I am concerned about the memory constraints and the
server becoming overwhelmed.

Thanks for your time.