jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Query that sorts a large result set.
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:16:24 GMT
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Ard Schrijvers
<a.schrijvers@onehippo.com> wrote:
> You though have to realize that, in my computions, I assume you are just
> using a Calendar value which is unique for each document. Now, if you would
> find it ok to stick to Calendar values with only, say, minute granularity,
> you'll significantly reduce (perhaps you won't have the issue anymore at
> all...if you would use a granalarity of hour (perhaps only in the prop you
> want for sorting, then 10 years will at most result in 87600 terms..not to
> much anymore)) the number of unique lucene terms for the calendar values,
> decreasing memory useage a lot....

Right, and maybe adding a second property P2, with a granularity of an
hour, allows one to solve this  without any changes to Jackrabbit: use
P2 to pre-select nodes where lastModified is in a give date range, and
then sort (at the application level) based on the actual lastModified
property.

Requires some simple application code, but I think that'd work fine.

-Bertrand