jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Robert.CTR.Ligu...@faa.gov
Subject General Apache JackRabbit Questions
Date Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:01:06 GMT
Hello fellow Apache JackRabbit users,

    I'm just getting acquainted wth Apache JackRabbit.  As such I have a
few question.

   -- My intent is to support an existing web application with the reading
of files (e.g. PDFs, docs, etc) off of a MS Windows OS using a new Apache
JackRabbit repository.

    (1) I assume the Jackrabbit Standalone Server can be integrated
seemlessly with a web application... In regards to this statement, what
benefits are gained by using the JackRabbit Web Application (war file). Is
the Web App used in place of the server, or in tandem?

    (2) I understand how to read files from the repository using the
JackRabbit API.  But what is the most popular way to write files... I
guess through the API.  Is there a means or tool(s) to write files into
the (Windows OS) repository outside of the API?

   (3) For reading PDF files for a web application is using the JSR 170
directly the best way to go for simple web applications... or have there
been built applications with JSR 170 that eases development?

   (4) What are popular competing JSR 170-implementations to Apache
JackRabbit?  How do they compare?

   (5) Outside of JSR 170 and Apache JackRabbit's web site, is there any
other popular home for JSR-170 related documentation?

   In general, am I on the right track wanting to add and manage PDFs and
Word docs with Apache JackRabbit for a web applicaiton?  If I'm off track
please point me to the best Apache product to get the job done.  BTW, we
are using JavaServer Faces for our presentation layer and Java EE for just
about everything else.

Sincerely,
Robert J. Liguori
Computer Scientist