jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Query that sorts a large result set.
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 07:35:05 GMT
On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Marcel Reutegger
<marcel.reutegger@gmx.net>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2009/6/17 Ian Boston <ieb@tfd.co.uk>
> > This makes me a bit more worried, since I thought that at least the
> memory would be GC'd
> > at the end of the request, So presumably if the user asks for the first
> 100 hits sorted by
> > lastmodified, subject, status then; will each of those distinct searches
> consume additional
> >  memory not freed at the end of the request ?
>
> no, the mentioned memory is held by a cache in the index. this cache
> is used by all sessions that do a sort on a property.

I think Ian is referring to that sorting first on lastmodified, then on
subject and then on status does consume additional memory for each property
you sort on, not being able to be reclaimed by the jvm at the end of the
request. Ian is afaik not referring to per request, but I understand the
confusion.

Regards Ard