jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Shaun Barriball" <sbarr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject RE: Should Lucene index file size reduce when items are deleted?
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2009 11:41:53 GMT
Thanks Marcel.

>From a performance and memory usage perspective, should we see the benefits
of the deletion immediately or is the Lucene performance linked to the index
file sizes (and therefore reliant on the merge happening)?

Regards,
Shaun

-----Original Message-----
From: mreutegg@day.com [mailto:mreutegg@day.com] On Behalf Of Marcel
Reutegger
Sent: 08 June 2009 09:38
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: Should Lucene index file size reduce when items are deleted?

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 16:01, Shaun Barriball <sbarriba@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> When deleting say 25% of the items  should we expect the size of the
Lucene
> indexes to reduce by a similar amount?

over time you will see a reduction of the index size, but not
immediately. nodes in the index are not immediately removed when they
are updated or deleted. they are only marked as deleted and later disk
space is freed when index segments with nodes marked as deleted are
merged.

regards
 marcel