jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Transition from Slide to Jackrabbit for file management
Date Wed, 27 May 2009 16:46:15 GMT
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Jeff Hillier <hillier1@llnl.gov> wrote:
> Can Jackrabbit be configured in more of a "file management" mode vs true
> content management? Can it be configured the same way Slide could, with
> metadata being stored in the DB (path, properties like create data, size,
> type), and the actual files stored on the file system in their original
> format? Am I better off trying to fix some of the issues we have in our
> current Slide based application rather than moving to jackrabbit?

No, the only real access to a JCR is through the JCR API. Where things
are actually stored is up to the implementation and in Jackrabbit's
case depending on its configuration (PersistenceManagers and
DataStores are the important parts) - see [1]. This is technically
required, as the repository must have full control over the
persistence in order to optimize between the range of large binary
files and very fine-granular properties as it is the case with JCR.

Now it's more or less easy to mount a JCR as a filesystem using WebDAV
[2] [3], which will map nt:folder and nt:file nodes as OS folder and
files respectively. And since the JCR API is standardized, I encourage
you to write code using it, which allows you to access all the JCR
features.

[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-configuration.html
[2] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-web-application.html
(Simple Webdav Server)