jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Hillier <hilli...@llnl.gov>
Subject Transition from Slide to Jackrabbit for file management
Date Wed, 27 May 2009 16:27:41 GMT
Hi All-

I'm picking up an older project that was developed using slide 2.1.
The existing project is a "file management" application for our web
servers. Basically the Slide stores were configured so users could
use webdav (via Dreamweaver/Windows Explorer etc) to place there
files onto the web server in a development environment. Then through
the application could push those files through our work flow into our
production environment. Under the covers the files are pragmatically
moved from the development environment to the production environment
using the slide API. So our existing system is not a true content
management system, but instead a file management system.

We use a FileStore to store the files on the web server mounts and a
DBStore to store the metadata about the files, which also completes
our audit requirements (who did what, when, and who approved it)

Moving to a real content management system is not an option at this
time, but we'd like to see if we can move to a more stable
implementation for webdav access, Jackrabbit seems like it may be a
good fit. We don't have many "content management" requirements, ie we
don't need versioning, each file needs to be stored un altered on the
file system, and as far as the application is concerned files have no
relationship to each other. Basically we just need to move files from
the users desktop to the server via webdav.

Can Jackrabbit be configured in more of a "file management" mode vs
true content management? Can it be configured the same way Slide
could, with metadata being stored in the DB (path, properties like
create data, size, type), and the actual files stored on the file
system in their original format? Am I better off trying to fix some
of the issues we have in our current Slide based application rather
than moving to jackrabbit?

Any advise/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff