jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Transition from Slide to Jackrabbit for file management
Date Thu, 28 May 2009 06:20:24 GMT

On May 27, 2009, at 9:27 AM, Jeff Hillier wrote:

> Hi All-
>
> I'm picking up an older project that was developed using slide 2.1.
> The existing project is a "file management" application for our web
> servers. Basically the Slide stores were configured so users could
> use webdav (via Dreamweaver/Windows Explorer etc) to place there
> files onto the web server in a development environment. Then through
> the application could push those files through our work flow into
> our production environment. Under the covers the files are
> pragmatically moved from the development environment to the
> production environment using the slide API. So our existing system
> is not a true content management system, but instead a file
> management system.
>
> We use a FileStore to store the files on the web server mounts and a
> DBStore to store the metadata about the files, which also completes
> our audit requirements (who did what, when, and who approved it)
>
> Moving to a real content management system is not an option at this
> time, but we'd like to see if we can move to a more stable
> implementation for webdav access, Jackrabbit seems like it may be a
> good fit. We don't have many "content management" requirements, ie
> we don't need versioning, each file needs to be stored un altered on
> the file system, and as far as the application is concerned files
> have no relationship to each other. Basically we just need to move
> files from the users desktop to the server via webdav.
>
> Can Jackrabbit be configured in more of a "file management" mode vs
> true content management? Can it be configured the same way Slide
> could, with metadata being stored in the DB (path, properties like
> create data, size, type), and the actual files stored on the file
> system in their original format? Am I better off trying to fix some
> of the issues we have in our current Slide based application rather
> than moving to jackrabbit?
>
> Any advise/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff

I wrote a webdav provider for Commons VFS using jackrabbit's webdav
support. Is there some reason your metadata can't be added to the file
as webdav properties? As a matter of fact, Commons VFS already records
the who, what and when by leveraging the DeltaV properties in addition
to saving multiple versions of the file. The only issue I've had is
that when I get a version history using DavExplorer files always are
shown with a length of 0 and the author is empty (it should get it
from the creator-displayname property).

Ralph