jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From AdamR <adam.r...@runbox.com>
Subject Caching/performance issue (urgent help required please!)
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 07:10:17 GMT

Hi all,

I'm experiencing an issue where the first time my application executes a set
of queries and retrievals against Jackrabbit, my app takes >6 minutes to
load. Subsequent loads are much quicker - down to around 20 seconds, which
is just about acceptable. If I restart the Tomcat that is running
Jackrabbit, then I'm back to square one. So, this must be a caching issue,
but what I'm struggling to understand is why the initial set of queries take
so long to execute and what I can do to improve performance.

A bit of background info: This particaulr repository only contains approx
5Gb of content with around 1 million nodes. I've tried both Jackrabbit 1.5.2
and 1.5.5 and get exactly the same behaviour. We're using the MySQL
persistence manager, along with a DB file system, data store and cluster
journal - so everything is contained within MySQL as far as possible.

Our problematic application executes a number of queries to retrieve some
basic repository stats (counts of different node type instances etc), and
then uses the query results to retieve all the data from approximately 300
nodes. It is this latter part that takes an unbelievably long time when the
cache is empty. What's odd is that the CPU utilisation remains at around 10%
for the entire 6 minute period whilst all the property valeus from these 300
nodes are being retrieved - so I'm not sure where the bottle neck is.

I'd really appreciate any ideas/help etc. We're supposed to be demonstrating
the system tomorrow but at the moment it is unusable!

Thanks,
Adam