jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Workspaces in a cluster
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:26:09 GMT
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 5:09 AM, SalmasCM <salmas@criticalmass.com> wrote:
> I have several websites that have one admin server. Each website and the
> admin server are cluster nodes. There are two workspaces, preview and
> default. Changes are made to the preview workspace in the admin server and
> then merged to the default workspace.
> I have the following problem. I make changes to the preview workspace on the
> admin system and I verify that the workspace for the session is "preview" I
> save the session and restart the server. I go to the website and verify that
> I am in the default workspace and my changes are visible even though I did
> not merge the data over!
> Am I using workspaces correctly?

This behaviour is not expected, there is no automatic merging unless
you call merge. It looks like there is some error with the cluster
setup or your application code.

Btw, you don't have to restart your server to see the new data on
another workspace or cluster node.

> I did not think that changes in one workspace would show up in the second
> one unless I merged them over?

Right.

> Also, if I have both systems running I would like a publish action from the
> admin to show the changes to the website without having to restart the
> server.Is this expectation reasonable?

Yes.

>  Also, though I need a preview workspace on the admin server, I do not need
> it for the website. Is it okay to have preview and default workspaces for
> the admin and only default for the websites or do I have to have the same
> number of workspaces for all the nodes?

Not 100% sure, but if you only use a "local" PM for the preview
workspace, which should not get replicated in the cluster, and if on
the live system no one reads from the preview workspace, this should
work.

Regards,
Alex

--