jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Regarding the Scalability of Jackrabbit.
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:01:03 GMT
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 2:50 PM, imadhusudhanan
<madhusudhanan23@gmail.com> wrote:
>         We are of a large user base. And we would like to have a perfect CMS and
JR is the way we thought. Thanks Team. We would like to create users as nodes in a workspace
and maintain their content below each user node. This is the plan. Is that advisable to create
one workspace per user or one node per user any suggestions ??/Also I would like to know about
the scalability of JR if it runs as a standalone server.

One node per user. One workspace per user would be way too much
overhead and it makes your application code more difficult, as you
need workspace + path as identifier for the nodes you want. If you
only have one workspace for most things ("everything is content"), you
don't need to switch between workspaces.

Since flat hierarchies should be avoided, ie. you should distribute
the load over an hierarchy, don't put all user below one node (eg.
/home/*). The "scalability limit" for child nodes is estimated at
around 10k (due to Jackrabbits current architecture). What you could
do is to introduce subfolders with the starting letters of the
usernames, as it is also done in larger unix home directories:
/home/a/alex, /home/p/peter, etc.

Regarding the standalone server: you mean when you connect remotely?
Using RMI is the simplest option but also the slowest one. There is
the new spi-over-webdav remoting, which is more efficient. And you
could also try to optimize the granularity of your remote calls by
implementing RESTful interfaces with the help of Apache Sling.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek