jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: referential integrity in the DB BPM
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 09:46:59 GMT
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Connor, Brett (LNG-TWY)
<Brett.Connor@lexisnexis.co.uk> wrote:
> I've been exploring putting referential integrity on the Jackrabbit
> tables for the BPM.
>
> The background to this is that we regularly get QA reporting problems in
> testing that boil down to some form of NoSuchItemStateException. Many of
> these we eventually trace back to manual process errors copying
> databases around, redeploying servers etc. However often we can't prove
> anything about how it occurred.
>
> I've added a FK constraint from one of our tables to the BPM BUNDLE
> table, but AFAICT everything else is stored as binary data. Has anyone

just some background information to (hopefully) help you better understand
jackrabbit's current design:

the abstraction of jackrabbit's storage layer basically provides a way of
storing/retrieving an opaque object by key (much like a persistent hashmap).

relational databases were obviously not the first choice for implementing the
storage layer since they're somehow overqualified for the job. something like
a berkeley db seemed a better fit.

when more and more people asked for a rdbms-based storage layer we provided
a 'simple' implementation which stores the internal node state
represantations as
opaque objects in a 2-column table. we've deliberately chosen to not
use a fully
normalized database schema for performance reasons since that would require
*a lot more* db write operations without any significant gain.

cheers
stefan

> explored or thought about the possibility of adding more fundamental
> integrity checks here? I know there are consistency check config options
> for JackRabbit startup, I was hoping to achieve something to flag errors
> instantly, especially to catch the manual errors.
>
> Regards
> Brett
>
> LexisNexis is a trading name of REED ELSEVIER (UK) LIMITED - Registered office - 1-3
STRAND, LONDON WC2N 5JR