jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Korbinian Bachl - privat <korbinian.ba...@whiskyworld.de>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit & google AppEngine
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:10:28 GMT
well, even if one would be able to deploy JR, it would be a real joke,
as googles hard limitations (maybe they soften these later on) would
make files over 1MB each impossible - this and the maximum 10MB response
limit kills nearly all java apps that are somewhat file related...
Currently, im really unsure what market they target with GAE Java as the
limitations makes nearly all java apps that might benefit most of such a
cloud infrastructure impossible, e.g:

Time per request 	30 sec
-> and no threads + background = no data crunching...

Files per app 	1,000
-> this one looks odd... I nowhere could find what a "file" by their
definition is, but a limit to 1000 real classes sounds a showstopper for
many apps

HTTP response size 	10 MB
-> I still don't understand how one then could make backups from one
owns data...

Datastore item size 	1 MB
-> that makes either fuzzy workarounds for larger data or it just won't
store anything bigger as 1 MB each

Application code size 	150 MB
-> this sounds high enough

In the meantime I think that GAE Java will mostly help AWS or even
Azure. In an short attemp I tried to get from 0-AWS knowledge to a
running JR demo app. It took me less than 30 minutes of reading and 5
minutes of setup till my first instance was up, had attached storage and
a fix IP on it (used some sun AMI, had all on it for JEE5)...

As google will get similar price range for GAE as AWS is today, I dont
see any use in investing more time on GAE just to avoid some of their
restrictions while there are other solutions on the market already that
  nearly have no limits at all. Only hazzle from AWS I found out so far
is the billing + invoices that are not yet compatible with EU (european)
fiscal needs.

Best,

Korbinian