jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: moving from local instance to Jackrabbit server (RMI, WebDAV)
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 12:40:26 GMT
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 8:16 PM, repository_junkie <ali.ajellu@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I understand it correctly, there are currently two ways of interacting
> with the jackrabbit server: 1. RMI 2. WebDAV. I've been able to integrate
> the RMI version successfully (by using the URLRemoteRepository), but as the
> documentation itself admits, the RMI service is PAINFULLY SLOW. I haven't
> been able to do the same for the WebDAV service. I don't know much about
> WebDAV, other than it's used for accessing and managing files remotely.
> Also, I can't find any documentation on how to access the repository through
> code on the WebDAV protocol (Like the RMI).

There is some work going on in the Jackrabbit sandbox with an improved
remoting using SPI over Webdav with Json as exchange format [1].
Please join the dev@ list for the ongoing development. I estimate this
might also be part of the 1.6 release of Jackrabbit.

Another option is to look at Apache Sling, a webapplication framework
on top of JCR, that provides the full JCR API in a RESTful way. By
using its REST interfaces (or easily writing your own!) in a
document-granular way, you can also tune your performance for a remote
JCR application.

[2] http://incubator.apache.org/sling

Regards,
Alex