jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Use jackrabbit for digital library
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 12:33:31 GMT
On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Angelo Immediata <angeloimm@jumpy.it> wrote:
> In my project i need to handle a digitla repository very great (around 4-5
> TB). Is able Jackrabbit to handle this kind of repository?
> Are there any problems?

Jackrabbit in fact is optimized for storing large binaries through the
use of the DataStore [1], where the file based implementation simply
stores the binaries in the filesystem and streams it more-or-less
directly from the client to the hard disk, so that you get as much as
speed as possible. It also ensures that two identical binaries are
only stored once in the datastore, even if they occur multiple times
in the JCR tree.

Indexing of large binaries (via text extractors) is one factor that
can take some time (but that depends whether those files can be
indexed at all, can be configured), and I personally haven't seen such
a large repository based on Jackrabbit. But I can't see any general
problems.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DataStore

Regards,
Alex