jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: referential integrity in the DB BPM
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:04:33 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Connor, Brett (LNG-TWY)
<Brett.Connor@lexisnexis.co.uk> wrote:
> Agreed, I'm certainly not proposing modifying the tables, I was kind of
> hoping that there is some ability planned to do this, or (very
> optimistically!) someone with knowledge could point at some cunning
> ideas that I haven't thought of. Data integrity doesn't strike me as
> something that should be outside the realm of a CMS, especially as you
> say because the tables should be black-box to applications.

Jackrabbit (as the content repository) should always ensure the
integrity (including referential integrity) of all the content you
store in the repository. Failure to do so is an error in Jackrabbit.
It would be useful if you could better qualify the
NoSuchItemStateException issues you're seeing.

By design Jackrabbit does *not* rely on an underlying database for
referential integrity or conformance with node types, as those checks
are handled above the persistence manager layer. Lower levels of data
integrity (stored data remains the same unless explicitly changed,
changes are atomic, etc.) are within the scope of the PM layer, and
currently Jackrabbit delegates those responsibilities to the
underlying database or file system.

BR,

Jukka Zitting