jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Computed properties
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:02:40 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Marian Schedenig (qs)
<Marian.Schedenig@qualysoft.com> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> Do you actually need to have these "reverseDependency" nodes? A query
>> for "all nodes with a dependency to this node" might give you the same
>> functionality.
>
> I need it in WebDAV at least (the only way we access the JCR at the moment).
> As I haven't found a way so far to compute only those WebDAV properties
> actually requested by the client on the fly, I'd have to do the reverse
> dependency search each time a node is accessed - which sounds rather costly
> to me?

Does your client application need the reverse dependencies every time
you access a node? If not, you could drop the explicit reverse
dependency properties, and get the information with a DASL query only
when your client actually needs it.

Anyway, the kind of "virtual properties" you were thinking of are not
currently supported by Jackrabbit. You'll need to implement them on
the application layer either as a part of the save() operation (like
you currently do in the DAV layer you've customized), in an event
listener using observation (with the asynchronous processing you
noticed), or as a separate batch process (again with the
asynchronity).

BR,

Jukka Zitting