jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Mario-Leander Reimer <leander.rei...@vva-networks.de>
Subject DB connection issue with JackRabbit 1.5.3, JBoss 4.2.3 and mySQL
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:29:10 GMT
Hi everyone,

following situation: I have JackRabbit 1.5.3 running under JBoss 4.2.3 (with JCA connector),
using a XA DB connection datasource that connects to a mySQL 5.1.30 instance.

So far I have been using either ..bundle.MySqlPersistenceManager or the ..db.JNDIDatabasePersistenceManager
and configured to get the connection from the JNDI datasource. OK.

Question 1: What's the recommended PM? Is the bundle MySqlPersistenceManager any faster or
slower than the JNDIDatabasePersistenceManager?

The issue now is: Every morning, after a long idle period, the DB connection JackRabbit is
holding has been closed, probably by mySQL after the default period I assume, and JR is not
able to recover from that, using either of the PMs. What can I do? How can I change my configuration
so this doesn't happen anymore?

1. I don't want to increase the mySQL idle timeout!

2. I know the bundle PM has a reconnect feature, but when it tries to do so, it's throwing
exception and complaining about autoCommit not being possible for managed connections. Should
I use a local-tx datasource instead of the XA?

3. With the JNDIDatabasePersistenceManager it just doesn't reconnect and I need to restart.

Question 2: Is there any point of using a container managed datasource, since it seems JR
is using only one connection from it (is this right)? Should I just configure the DB connection
for JR in the repository.xml?

I need XA transaction because I have another DB datasource as well as the JCR datasource and
I obviously want the writes to both datasources to commit together or be rolled back properly.

Does configuring the JR connection in the repo xml harm this behavior in any way?

OK, hope someone can give me some advice.

VVA Networks GmbH

Mario-Leander Reimer
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)
Teamleitung Publishing Solutions
VVA Networks GmbH
: medien mit zukunft
Geisenhausenerstra?e 15-17
81379 M?nchen
Fon:    +49 89 2000375-610
Fax:    +49 89 2000375-699
Mobil:  +49 173 5883541

HRB 33884 D?sseldorf
Gesch?ftsf?hrer Rolf Christian Kassel
Ein Unternehmen der VVA Kommunikation
omnisuite(r) - integrate. automate. communicate.

Diese Nachricht (inklusive aller Anh?nge) ist vertraulich. Sie darf
ausschlie?lich durch den vorgesehenen Empf?nger und Adressaten gelesen,
kopiert oder genutzt werden. Sollten Sie diese Nachricht versehentlich
erhalten haben, bitten wir, den Absender (durch Antwort-E-Mail) hiervon
unverz?glich zu informieren und die Nachricht zu l?schen. Jede unerlaubte
Nutzung oder Weitergabe des Inhalts dieser Nachricht, sei es vollst?ndig
oder teilweise, ist unzul?ssig.

privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient.
If you have received it in error please contact the sender (by return
E-Mail) immediately and delete this message. Any unauthorised use or
dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.

View raw message