jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "E.W. van der Steen" <e.w.van.der.st...@rug.nl>
Subject Re: Structured mixin-types added to a nt:unstructured node
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:08:46 GMT
Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> hi eric
>
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM, E.W. van der Steen
> <e.w.van.der.steen@rug.nl> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We're preparing for a migration to JCR and have read up on David's Model
>> on content modelling. We are going to embrace "Data first, structure
>> later (maybe)", but we want to be prepared for the "structure later", so
>> we did some testing. We're looking into what happens if you add a mixin
>> to already stored nodes, and I came across some unexpected behaviour.
>>
>> When adding a mixin-type to a node of type nt:unstructured, it seems
>> that no type validation is done on the properties that are defined in
>> the mixin-type.
>>
>> I could not clearly read in the specification whether this is as it
>> should be. I guess nt:unstructured means that even if you add a
>> mixin-type which requires structure, that will not really happen?
>>
>> Could someone clarify this for me for better understanding of the model?
>> And if nt:unstructured nodes cannot be partly structured using mixin
>> types, how would do "Data first, structure later?".
>>
>> I added my actions below as a reference.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Eric
>>
>> My actions:
>>
>> I uploaded a XML-file through WEBDav in a newly created repository using
>> the 1.5 Jackrabbit webapp release. This creates a node of type nt:file,
>> with a childnode jcr:content of type nt:unstructured.
>>
>> Then I defined the following mixin-type:
>>
>> <rugcms = 'http://webplatform.rug.nl/jcr'>
>> [rugcms:w3Object]
>> mixin
>> - rugcms:type (long) mandatory
>> - rugcms:status (long) = '5' mandatory
>>
>> and added this mixin to the jcr:content node:
>>
>> testNode.addMixin("rugcms:w3Object");
>> testNode.setProperty("rugcms:type", Calendar.getInstance());
>> testNode.setProperty("rugcms:status", "published");
>>
>> followed by a save(). The properties are added without exceptions.
>>
>> But if I add it to the file node (type nt:file), this fails on the
>> setProperty() with the following error as expected:
>>
>> javax.jcr.ValueFormatException: conversion failed: String to Long:
>> conversion to long failed: For input string: "published": conversion to
>> long failed: For input string: "published": For input string: "published"
>
> well the exception is pretty clear:
> you're trying to set a property of type 'long' to a non-numeric string value,
> hence the vlaue format exception.
Yes, very clear, and as I would expect as mentioned.

> setting the same property on a nt:unstructured node obviously succeeds
> since nt:unstructured allows properties of any name and any type.
But that means the added mixin-type is ignored, which I would not expect
as it makes adding structure later more difficult. My question still
remains. "And if nt:unstructured nodes cannot be partly structured using
mixin types, how would do "Data first, structure later?"."

Greetings,
Eric
--
drs. Eric Wout van der Steen