jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From repository_junkie <ali.aje...@gmail.com>
Subject moving from local instance to Jackrabbit server (RMI, WebDAV)
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 19:16:38 GMT

Hi all :)

We are using Jackrabbit along with JCROM (http://code.google.com/p/jcrom/ an
Object Content Mapper) to write a repository service. We started development
using the first deployment model described here:
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/deployment-models.html in the context of an
Application (not a web-application).

Now, we need this repository to be accessible from anywhere on the web
(Therefore clients will definitely be on different VM's). Model 1 no longer
suffices obviously. The clear choice seems to be Model 3: The Repository
Server. (please correct me if I'm wrong). To this end, we've installed the
Jackrabbit Web Application jackrabbit-webapp-1.5.3.war
(http://jackrabbit.apache.org/downloads.html) and deployed it in a tomcat
instance.

If I understand it correctly, there are currently two ways of interacting
with the jackrabbit server: 1. RMI 2. WebDAV. I've been able to integrate
the RMI version successfully (by using the URLRemoteRepository), but as the
documentation itself admits, the RMI service is PAINFULLY SLOW. I haven't
been able to do the same for the WebDAV service. I don't know much about
WebDAV, other than it's used for accessing and managing files remotely.
Also, I can't find any documentation on how to access the repository through
code on the WebDAV protocol (Like the RMI).

My question is, what is the simplest and most common way to install and use
the Jackrabbit server in a production environment? I've been searching for
many days, but unfortunately I have not been able to come up with anything
on nabble either. Could someone please give me a little overview of how I
can go about doing that, or point me to a well-written tutorial or article?

Your help is very much appreciated -- thank you!
Ali