jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Greg Klebus <g...@klebus.com>
Subject Re: large files (5-50 GB)
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2009 20:31:22 GMT
Hi Jeff

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Jeff Wang <jeffcwang@mac.com> wrote:
> I've gotten JackRabbit 1.5 working on Tomcat 6.x. I've configured the
> datastore to handle large files.  I am testing the datastore by mounting
> a webdav mount on the same computer.  I can upload files to about 1GB but
> when I try to upload a 7GB video file, it says:
>
> "Sorry, operation could not be completed because an unexpected error
> occurred (Error Code 0)"

We'd need more information, as there are many potential reasons for a
problem like this.

Of special interest:

- PM user (Derby?), DataStore configuration (DB- or FileDataStore?)
- log files, including tomcat log files (ideally parts with relevant
exceptions or messages)

> Is there a maximum file size limit?

Generally no, although various sub-components or external dependencies
might impose their own limits. Two most likely culprits:

- servlet container might choke on large files (google for keywords:
tomcat large file upload 2GB)
- AFAIR Derby has 2GB limit for blobs (if DBDataStore used)

> We may need to store video files up to
> 50 GB so I am thinking that taking the
> message digest of that is going to take a really long time.  That is what
> prompted these tests.

Right approach IMO - defining your benchmark and runing respective
tests. If only more people followed these rules instead of asking
"what is the maximum value of X that your system can bear with"... :)

Cheers
Greg