jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: some doubts after my first hops
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:15:33 GMT
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Korbinian Bachl - privat
<korbinian.bachl@whiskyworld.de> wrote:
> -> Why do I have to do soo much work for just saving a file? Did I miss
> an easier approach?

Why do you think this is "soo much work"? Your code does the following:
- save any file
- automatic versioning
- store metadata along the file
- uses standard structure to be compatible with eg. Jackrabbits simple
webdav server

That's a nice bunch of feature to me ;-)

And regarding the somewhat nasty PathNotFoundException: you could use
Node.hasNode() instead and simply ignore those PathNotFoundExceptions,
that should no longer occur if you do the hasNode() check - all JCR
exceptions inherit RepositoryEx, which you already throw in your
method.

> -> In the Jackrabbit-Doc i haven't found a word about versioning and its
> behaviours of childs (neither in the JCR spec) - so how will a
> parent-Node that is versioned react when
> a, a versioned child changes?
> b, a non-versioned child changes?

It's covered in the JCR 1.0 spec in section 8.2.11 ff [1]. There is
also a nice JCR tutorial that describes those OnParentVersion variants
quite nicely [2].

> -> I saw that there is also an OCM; When should one use it and when not?
> Would my file-scenario make sense to take usage of the OCM?

That depends. My personal opinion is that you don't really need OCM
with JCR [3]. Especially for handling binary files as in your case, it
does not really help much.

[1] http://www.day.com/specs/jcr/1.0/8.2.11_OnParentVersion_Attribute.html
[2] http://jtoee.com/jsr-170/the_jcr_primer/5/
[3] http://markmail.org/message/rbq6by26th7kbqeh