jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: modifying nodetypes
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:57:22 GMT
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Patrick Plaatje <patrick@ipros.nl> wrote:
> thanx for the swift reply, but on the page I cannot seem to find if it's
> possible to modify any nodetype after it's loaded them through the node
> type manager? The use case will be that users of the repository will be
> able to add/modify/delete properties.

Citing the aforementioned JackrabbitNodeTypeManager [1] api docs:

    Currently Jackrabbit provides a mechanism to register new node types,
    but it is not possible to modify or remove existing node types.

The answer to that is basically use of nt:unstructured (ie. residual
properties/child nodes), which is the heart of the schema-free
"feature" of JCR. I would also recommend to have a look at David's
guide to content modelling [2].

[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/api/1.5/org/apache/jackrabbit/api/JackrabbitNodeTypeManager.html
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DavidsModel

Regards,