jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: javax.jcr.NamespaceException
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:20:01 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Thomas Fromm <tf@inubit.com> wrote:
> Of course there are APIs... but implementing them will take alot of time
> instead extend from a class and overwrite some methods or have access to some
> members...
> Sure potentially the extended class needs to be modified after update, but
> this is a normal thing. The user is not forced to extend, but he has the
> option to with all possibilitys and risks.

Instead of extending internal Jackrabbit classes I would encourage you
to simply *modify* them. Get the source release or an svn checkout,
make the modifications you need, and build your own custom version of
Jackrabbit. The source is open. :-)

If your customizations are generally useful, you can contribute them
back and we'll include them in the next release. Alternatively, if you
have a good case for an extension that only makes sense in your
environment, you can propose that we add an extension point for
plugging in such custom behaviours. In this case I don't see why the
entire fix couldn't be included directly in Jackrabbit.

BR,

Jukka Zitting