jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Samuel Cox <crankydi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Versioning nodes to accomplish snapshot behavior
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:20:02 GMT
Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Samuel Cox <crankydillo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My users can change Ps or add Ns a bunch of times and we don't generally
>> care about those changes.  However, at some point in time we want to take a
>> snapshot so that the current state of the hierarchy can be retrieved after
>> future edits.
>>
>> What I've been doing is marking the nodes as versionable and the removing
>> the previous versions using VersionHistory.removeVersion(versionName).
>>
>> Of course this gets kind of tricky.  For example, if I change N4.P, then I
>> need to remove the versions created for N1, N3, and N4.
>
> JCR actually supports nested versioning. Apart from the spec (section
> 8.2.11) [1], there is a nice introduction to JCR that includes a good
> description of versioning and the (in this case important)
> on-parent-version attribute [2].
>
> [1] http://www.day.com/specs/jcr/1.0/
> [2] http://jtoee.com/jsr-170/the_jcr_primer/5/

Thanks for the links.  I looked through them and still have the same
question.  All of the child nodes in my hierarchy have OPV=COPY.  The
problem is that I only care about maintaining versions at specific
points in time (i.e. when someone takes a snapshot).  To not grow the
VH, I am removing versions when changes occur.  I was wondering if there
was some other way to do this or just plain foolishness...

--
Samuel Cox