jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Fromm ...@inubit.com>
Subject Re: javax.jcr.NamespaceException
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:08:34 GMT
On Thursday 12 February 2009 11:51, Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> > I wrote an ugly workaround, which works for me.
> > (Normally you need also to extend/modify
> > org.apache.jackrabbit.core.query.lucene.FileBasedNamespaceMappings.java,
> > but thats not nessesary for me.)
> > Unfortunality the jackrabbit creators likes to use of private
> > methods/members. So extending their code is mostly impossible.
>
> i would argue that access modifiers in jackrabbit core have been
> chosen thoughtfully
> in general. the jackrabbit core classes are not primarily designed to
> be extensible.
> there are specific APIs that can be implemented. if a member or method has
> been declared private there's probably a good reason for it (e.g. the
> implementation might
> change in the future and therefore potentially break subclasses etc).

Of course there are APIs... but implementing them will take alot of time
instead extend from a class and overwrite some methods or have access to some
members...
Sure potentially the extended class needs to be modified after update, but
this is a normal thing. The user is not forced to extend, but he has the
option to with all possibilitys and risks.

just my 2 cents...