jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexander Klimetschek" <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Access control and node types with WebDAV
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:05:12 GMT
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 1:49 AM, Charles Brooking
<public+jackrabbit@charlie.brooking.id.au> wrote:
> JCR 1.0 includes the "set_property" permission, and I've implemented a
> custom AccessManager so can control access to this level. The problem I
> have with properties is that I want the user to have write permission when
> connected through my web application, but more limited permissions when
> connected through WebDAV. However, it is only possible to have a single
> AccessManager configured per repository.

Why do you want different access rights depending on the way the user
connects to the repository? That seems like the content model could be
improved.

> I looked at Sling briefly, but I've found the REST side of things pretty
> easy-going just using the Jersey JAX-RS implementation. It wasn't clear to
> me what Sling's benefits were from examples on the website, and I have
> complete control over the details by coding my own!

Sling offers a lot, and you always have the control over the details.
First of all, it supports the following formats over HTTP
out-of-the-box: WebDAV, JSON, Plain Text rendering (for reading). The
SlingPostServlet allows to manipulate the JCR via form posts. Finally
it is *very* easy to write your own REST interface - the built-in ones
are the default renderings if there are no others (custom) defined.
And since it works on resources (resource =  node in the jcr), you can
easily model your URL space in JCR and put different renderes to
different resources (eg. /content/orders, /content/products).

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek