jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Sébastien Launay <sebastien.lau...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Deleting the version history of a node
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 20:03:40 GMT
Hi,

IMO if one deletes a node and its belonging versions, it's
because he does not want to (and cannot) retrieve this node later.

One of my company clients has the following use case:
- version a content because we want to restore it to a previous version
  and to show its history
- about 2000 contents of this kind is created every week
- after 6 months we purged the content, among other things
  the node history (to keep only the root version and the base version)
- after 3 years we deleted the content (the node and then its remaining
  versions)

Because, the node is deleted but its empty version history is still
present in Jackrabbit storage, the disk usage continues to grow.
The goal of the purge was precisely to have a constant disk usage
because the content creation throughput is constant (i.e. after 3
years of production the number of nodes must have reached a
maximum).

I have created a (first-try) patch for fixing this issue which still
awaits feedback ;) :

Sébastien Launay