jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexander Klimetschek" <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: versioning test
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 14:06:56 GMT
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:
> For one I did not use the proper path on addNode :-p

He he ;-)

> But the versioning part was a little more tricky to get right. Still
> find the checkin/checkout/save semantics quite confusing.

The reason you have to do checkin and checkout explicitly is because
sometimes you might want to do multiple changes on the current node
(calling node/property.save() or session.save()) without creating a
new version. In content management systems for example you typically
have a button "creation new version" that would do a checkin(), which
is followed by a checkout() right afterwards to allow normal write
operations on the new head version (a checked-in node is not
writeable). Now all normal operations work normally and can do
multiple saves, without knowing the versioning in the background.

> Would have hoped for such an example in the docs.

There is an examples page on the wiki which also covers versioning:

http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/ExamplesPage

This article also talks about real-world usage of JCR versioning:

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2006/11/08/advanced-java-content-repository.html

Regards,
Alex

--