jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas Müller" <thomas.muel...@day.com>
Subject Re: Database DataStore vs File DataStore: Performance.
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:34:01 GMT
Hi,

> Is there dissadvantages of Database DataStore VS File Datastore?

I didn't measured performance, but probably the file data store is a
little bit faster than the database data store. I think it's just a
matter of preference, I don't think one or the other is 'better'.

> Do the same rules apply to the DataStore as to the PM as far as that goes?
> Meaning, it depends on your DB server, or File Server, etc?

Yes.

> My goal is to move everything, PM and DataStore to the database. We plan to
> have a large number of users, but I don't anticipate documents larger than
> say 100 megs but there could be, although most will be under 10 megs...

Some JDBC drivers try to load BLOBs completely in memory. If you have
large documents this can be a problem. If I was you, I would test with
a 200 MB document to make sure there are no surprises later on.

> I also want to know how to move the existing content from our currently file
> based repository  to  a full db repo, but that was my previous post...

Did you already read http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/BackupAndMigration ?

Regards,
Thomas