jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From slande...@excilys.com
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 + Jackrabbit + transactions
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 12:35:30 GMT
> Our need for transactions is based on the fact that we are using
> multiple Jackrabbit workspaces and need transactional semantics for
changes that span multiple workspaces.
Just one question : what do you use several workspaces for? I ask this
question because people tend to have workspaces for seperating fonctionnal
perimeters. See http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DavidsModel Rule #3.

> I think I could code this project 5 times before I learned enough about
> Spring to use it :)  I was hoping to find a lighter-weight transaction
> manager that could coordinate changes to multiple workspaces.  All of my
> reading has given me the impression that there is some combination of
> things out there that can accomplish this in Tomcat6.
> org.apache.jackrabbit.core.XASessionImpl implements XAResource which can
> be manipulated individually (like
> org.apache.jackrabbit.core.UserTransactionImpl does) or in concert like a
> javax.transaction.Transaction does by enlisting multiple XAResources in a
> single transaction.  It is my understanding that something like Atomikos
> is an implementation of the JTA and could be used as that manager but it
> is unclear how to coordinate that piece and Jackrabbit.

I really should give Spring a shot!
It provides you with a handly transaction support, can provide you with a
LocalTransactionManager (the one for Jackrabbit is not in Spring Core but
in SPring modules) and can provide a JTA support (in this case, you have
to feed your own TransactionManager).
If you want to work with several workspaces, you'll probably have to
customize some stuff because.

For application that don't run on a complete app-server, I use Jencks as a
JTA provider. I find it much cleaser and easier to configure that
Atomikos.

BR,

St├ęphane Landelle